Also called substantive and line editing. Editor works directly with the manuscript.
Includes a manuscript evaluation page that covers plot, characterization, setting, pacing and point of view. Focuses mainly on clarity, consistency and appropriateness for genre but also includes notes on issues with point of view breaks and presentation of content. When necessary, suggests rewrites at any level needed to assure smooth, cohesive story structure.
Editor works directly with manuscript
Provides fact checking as needed and focuses on mechanical issues including word usage, punctuation, grammar, spelling and syntax. Careful attention is paid to maintaining voice and original meaning throughout. We use Chicago Manual of Style to assure consistency in format and style.
Editor works directly with synopsis or manuscript, often prior to completion
This style is usually completed before the manuscript is fully written and assists with manuscript structure, content and organization. Developmental editing is generally most useful in non-fiction works and does not include content or copy editing.
Terminology varies and these definitions are intended to let you know what to expect from our services only. They are meant to help you think about the kind of editing your manuscript might need and give you an idea of which type will best serve you in achieving your vision for your work.
Content Editing: $3.00 page/ $50.00 minimum
Copy Editing: $3.00 page/ $50.00 minimum
Developmental Editing: $30.00 pr. hour/ $30.00 minimum ($15.00 deposit to begin)
Combined editing (both Copy and Content edit): $5.75 per page, $90.00 minimum
* Although the industry standard is still 250 words per page, this is a largely subjective number. Since formatting and other considerations make a significant difference in the number of words per page, our editing costs are calculated based on manuscript word count rather than page count. At Brass Rag Press, 300 words constitutes a page.
Word documents only
12 point font
Times New Roman or Cambria is suggested. Fancy or difficult fonts are not accepted.
1.5 line spacing is preferred
How we work:
- You send us a page and word count; we send you an estimated cost, completion date and the name of your editor.
- If both parties are agreed on the above terms, you send us the file and a deposit constituting 50% of the estimated cost (except develomental editing which requires a $15.00 deposit regardless of the estimated total).
- When editing is completed, we send you a sample page and an invoice for the balance due.
- When the final payment is received, we send you either:
- Content Edit: A marked copy of the manuscript and an evaluation report. The marked copy shows all suggested changes for you to accept or reject on a case by case basis. The mark up is done under the review tab in Word. The Evaluation report is a “big picture” overview with suggestions that go beyond single instances and address the manuscript (plot, characterization, setting, backstory, etc.) as a whole.
- Copy Edit: A marked copy showing all edits and a clean copy with all edits accepted.
- Combined Edit: A clean copy and a marked copy together with an evaluation report.
- Developmental edit: An evaluation report with suggested changes, additions and other adjustments
- Manuscripts are scheduled as they come to us and the start date on your manuscript will determine the projected completion date. The completion date is calculated based on the date work can begin rather than on date we receive the file. Completion dates depend on current work load and manuscript length, among other things.
- We accept most genres with the exception of erotica. Some sexual content will not exclude your manuscript, but stories which focus primarily on this aspect may be respectfully declined.